Monday, November 9, 2009

Off to Pomona!

It’s been a while since my last blog and I have so much news to share with all of you. Unfortunately time has eluded me these last few weeks but I’m bring you up to speed on all the latest and greatest from Tasca, Motorcraft and Quick Lane. Since Charlotte and then four races in a row – I’ve been in race and championship mode – there’s not much going on other than what you see on ESPN from race to race.

Since the last time we blogged, I had the opportunity to go to my first NASCAR race and that was a pretty wild experience. It’s amazing how different their platform is than ours. But there’s still all the excitement of racing and teamwork. I had the pleasure of being guests of the Wood Brothers and Bill Elliott during the Charlotte race. We swapped racing stories with the Wood Brothers back in Chicago when they came to our race, so they invited me and the entire team to be their guests in Charlotte. Thanks to Eddie and Len Wood, Bill Elliott and their entire Motorcraft team.

When I’m not at the race track, I spend a lot of time with my family and the family business. I’ve been working with the Tasca Ford management team on the fixed ops stop side of the dealership, which really works well with my race sponsors. I’m really lucky to have two jobs – one at the dealership and the other at the track because I’m able to connect with a lot of Quick Lanes and Motorcraft customers and distributors in a very unique way. Being back at the store keeps me at the top of my game on what’s going on in the fix stop operations end.

When I’m home, other than being at the dealership, I’d say the second place I spend a lot of time at is the hockey rink. All three of my boys, two of them (Bobby and Austin) are active in hockey. Cameron is learning how to skate and will catch-up to the older boys pretty soon. Terri and I take turns picking up kids and dropping kids off at the hockey rink for practices and games. It’s great for me to see, at such a young age, Bobby (age 7) and Austin (age 5), how competitive they are and how competitive as a whole how five and seven year olds are. I really enjoy watching them develop and work as a team. Watching the boys play hockey reminds me about the dynamic of my race team. We work, win and lose together as a team and to see my kids go through something so similar at such a young age and in such a competitive sport as hockey, is remarkable. It’s been real fun for me. Soon I’ll be traveling with the boys because once my season ends, their road season begins. They go to a couple of tournaments around New England, so that will be fun traveling with the boys and their hockey league.

We went into Las Vegas, clearly our “Game 7” and we needed a win to help keep our championship hopes alive. We qualified well but unfortunately we just missed it by a little, but enough to smoke the tires in the first round against Del and ending our championship hopes. I’ve said all season, what a remarkable job Chris Cunningham, Marc Denner and my guys have done to make our second year our breakout year. I think it shows the spirit of our team and the desire of our team to win. Winning a championship is the only reason why we race and it’s the only acceptable outcome to a season. This year our championship hopes might have been extinguished but clearly we’re well on our way to achieving our goal of winning a championship. So hopefully, we’ll end this year with one more win, that’s all were looking for. Next year, we’ll come out of the box strong again and compete for this championship.

I missed my family last weekend in Las Vegas because I didn’t get to see the boys dressed for Halloween. Unfortunately, they didn’t come to Las Vegas last week, but they sure had fun. Terri took the boys trick-or-treating through the neighborhood. Bobby was a zombie, Austin was the Hulk and Cameron was Woody from Toy Story. I tried to get one of them to dress like a race car driver, maybe next year.

Wait until you see what I’ve been working of for 2010. Starting in Pomona next February, it will be easier to find Tasca Racing apparel at the race track. I can’t tell you how many times people have asked me, “Where can I get a Tasca shirt?” You won’t have to ask that question anymore because we are working on a state-of-the-art merchandise trailer that will have a complete line not only of Tasca Racing merchandise but Ford Racing merchandise. It will be the official trailer for Ford Racing and Ford Racing apparel, so that will be debut at the 50th Annual Winternationals. Working on the design and getting everything ready consumes a lot of time, not to mention getting the whole apparel line pulled together. Be sure to stop by the trailer next year. I’ll keep you posted on the details.

In addition to the merchandise trailer, there will be a show car. You’ll see that pop-up at Quick Lanes near race tracks and in between different races. We’re going to help drive traffic and get fans into Quick Lane Tire & Auto Centers nearby them to see our race car, and see services that Quick Lane provides. Trust me, this won’t be an ordinary show car – this will be an interactive show car with a 52 inch plasma that comes out of the roof with a video highlighting our season and some of our technology throughout the years. It will be a pretty cool experience to see the show car at a Quick Lane, hopefully near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment